Our customers our are number one priority. Click here to discuss your experience.

How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Vehicle?

White Mini Electric Car
 

From reduced maintenance to zero emissions, there are many benefits that come with owning an electric car. But, how long does it take to charge an electric car? That’s a question that many Providence, RI-area drivers ask when looking to upgrade to a new electric vehicle. The answer is that electric car charging time will vary depending on the make and model and the type of plug and port. Learn more about charging times for electric cars in this guide from MINI of Warwick, then visit us to check out the MINI Cooper Electric Hardtop 2 Door today!

 

 

Electric Car Charging Time

Since different electric vehicles have their own unique battery packs and charging ports, charging times for electric cars can vary. How long does it take to charge an electric car? Regardless of the type of EV you own, you will have three main options for charging an electric car — home charging, rapid home charging, and public charging. Each one of these provides a different electric car charging time. Review the details of each EV charging option below.

Domestic Outlet Home Charging (Regular Outlet)

  • Relies on a normal grounded (three-prong) 110V/120V charging outlet (Level 1 Charging)
  • Doesn’t offer a fast electric car charging time
  • Usually takes around 24 hours or more for a full charge

Brand-Approved Rapid Domestic Charging

  • Uses a professionally installed charging station (Level 2 Charging) that is brand-specific to the EV model you drive
  • Relies on 240V+ to speed up electric car charging time
  • Can take 30 minutes for an 80% charge, but the remaining 20% will take longer because of a diminishing rate of charging speed

Public Charging

  • There is an ever-growing infrastructure of public charging stations in the Warwick area for you to take advantage of
  • Public charging stations vary in type and speed, but typically provide Level 2 Charging which can provide an 80% charge in 30 minutes
  • Some stations offer emissions-free renewable energy charging with solar panels or wind turbines

Plug-In Hybrid Charging Time

Interested in a plug-in hybrid? The MINI Cooper Countryman is available in a plug-in hybrid version that will typically take less time than charging an electric car. That’s because it will switch between gasoline and electric power as needed on the roads in and around Cranston, RI. It should only take about 1 to 4 hours to fully charge a plug-in hybrid vehicle.

Learn More About Charging Times for Electric Cars at MINI of Warwick

How long does it take to charge an electric car? Once you become familiar with your electric car charging time you’ll find that charging an electric car is something that can easily fit into your schedule. If you have any questions about electric car charging times, the environmental benefits of EVs, or the MINI Cooper Electric range, please feel free to contact us. We’re ready to help you electrify your Newport, RI commute, so come see us today!

 

More from MINI of Warwick

  • MINI Electric Hardtop Interior

      If the benefits of an electric vehicle sound like something you’re ready to enjoy on your Providence, RI adventures, we’ve got you covered. Our new MINI Electric Hardtop 2-Door vehicle delivers the excitement you can expect from a new MINI Cooper in addition to all the perks associated with an EV. But, what is the…

  • MINI Cooper Convertible Interior

      Driving a new MINI when you’re on the roads outside of Providence, RI will provide you with a memorable driving experience. MINI vehicles deliver immersive drives thanks to their nimble and agile handling. However, you can indulge in even more exciting adventures when you opt for a new MINI Cooper Convertible. But, what is the…

  • 2024 MINI Cooper Countryman MPG

    MINI Cooper vehicles are known for their exciting driving dynamics and head-turning styling. But if you’re looking for a MINI that’s both unique and delivers outstanding comfort, there are plenty of options to choose from, and the MINI Cooper Countryman is a fantastic choice. The new MINI Cooper Countryman is ready to keep you and…

MINI of Warwick 41.698937, -71.497406.